Thursday 13 September 2012

Normalising Single Parenthood From 3+

Or: I Totally Forgot About Postman Pat, Or: Well Done Cosgrove Hall.

After my epic whinge about Fireman Sam yesterday, my friend Vic pointed out that Jeff Pringle, the school teacher in Postman Pat, is a single dad looking after his son, Charlie.

Jeff Pringle
Charlie Pringle
And she's right.  I'd forgotten about Jeff and Charlie, as it's been ages since Alex watched Postman Pat.  (He liked it when he was about 2, but then moved on to Timmy Time then Fireman Sam.)  Vic did also say something about Charlie looking remarkably like another character in the show.  I just can't recall who...


Nope... nothing.
Anyway, it's not important.  What matters is that when you start looking at Postman Pat, the series is riddled with single parent families.  As well as Jeff and Charlie, there's PC Selby and Lucy:

Plus Sarah Gilbertson and her mother, Dr Gilbertson, with whom PC Selby has a delightfully bumbling will-they-won't-they romance:

And, when I come to think of it, I...  Hang on!

They do say he knocks twice.
Naaaaaaah...

As I was saying, when I come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen Mr Pottage, only Julia and the Twins.

Look, it's bloody hard finding Postman Pat images of minor characters, ok!
Still, at least these two haven't been fathered by Pat!  No, looks like we're looking for some sort of blonde lothario to blame for the Twins.

I'm saying nothing, but look at that smile.
And you know what?  Apart from PC Selby and Dr Gilbertson pursuing a rather sweet love affair, it's never raised once.  They're just nice, normal people, with nice, normal kids.  PC Selby's a bit dim, Sarah Gilbertson is a bit of a harridan and Pat has obviously been poking his nose in where it doesn't belong.  (I said nose!  Mind out of the gutter!)  So three cheers for Cosgrove Hall!

If only Alex actually liked Postman Pat.  Ahh well.

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog whilst looking for the answer to what ever happened to Jeff Pringle?
    And yes. Green dale is rife with single parent families. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete